Monday, 26 September 2016

Faux Taxidermy

Xanthipe has a wall of faux taxidermy, so clearly I had to add to it!

This is another version of Simplicity 1218.  I used fleece for the head, antlers and nose, but velvet for the inner ear and neck.  The trickiest bit was turning the antlers right side out and stitching them on and it was a complete pain to wrap!

I love making these and have plans for another two at least, so keep your eyes peeled for the future blog posts!

Monday, 19 September 2016

PJ Trews!

I had a large amount of the floral fabric from my maxi dress left over, only due to how I'd cut out the maxi dress is was in a long fairly thin strip.  I'd wanted to make another dress, but I didn't want to piece it, so int he end I decided to run up a new pair of summer pj trews!

They are my usual lazy elasticated waist design!

They're very comfy and I'm looking forward to getting some use out of them before the weather turns too cold!

Thursday, 8 September 2016


I had a wedding to go to last week and apparently in Germany, they do long frocks for weddings.  So I needed a new dress, oh the hardship...

I used New Look 6280 and lengthened the bodice and the skirt.

 I'm really pleased with this dress!  It's comfy, pretty and can be dressed up or down as I need.

In case you're wondering these pictures were taken in a farmyard during the wedding celebrations, in fact just before my cousins all consumed a really quite amazing amount of alcohol!

Monday, 5 September 2016

Kindle Cover

Mr Kit has a habit of wanting gadgets and then after a few months getting bored of them, at which point I acquire them.  Case in point is the kindle, which he doesn't use any more so I've been using.  I didn't like the case he had though, so I made my own.

I embroidered the pictures using a transfer from a book I was given for my birthday a few years ago and then discovered it wasn't quite big enough to be the front of the cover, argh!  So I added it to a tartan cotton cover that was big enough and added a batting lining before a lining in the same tartan.

The top is bound in cotton bias binding and it just snugly fits the kindle so I haven't worried about a closure at the top.

Thursday, 1 September 2016

Monster Kit

Goodness me, it has been vile at larp these last few weeks.  Rainy and warm, creating a muggy outside that's stupidly energy sapping.  Thing is, being in Britain my larp gear is mostly made to be warm, so I have felt like I was melting!  Something had to be done!

So I acquired some black t-shirting and set about working on something out with the aid of my beloved Alabama Chanin book (one day I'll get the other Alabama Chanin books...)

Tadaa!  Here is my new super simple t-shirt dress.  It's the shift dress skirt added to the t-shirt top.  I used the cap sleeves and made the neckhole slightly larger than usual.

 It doesn't have pockets, because I couldn't figure any out that didn't look really silly (which makes me very sad).  It was also originally longer, but I didn't like the length so I hacked it shorter and I'm really pleased I did!

 Please excuse my hair, these photos were taken as I was getting ready for larp and I hadn't quite realised how messy it looked!

Having worn this dress larping all day I'm thrilled with it!  lightweight and comfy it meant I didn't overheat (well not more than could be helped anyway)!

Monday, 29 August 2016

Faux Taxidermy!

It was our old lodgers birthday a few days ago and her boyfriend suggested that she needed some faux taxidermy for her new place.  Well what am I but ever obliging? (Especially when he finds a pattern for me!)

This is Simplicity 1218 and was really good to sew!  It's made of fleece with a satin horn and toy eyes.

I loved sewing this and the pattern has a few other variations, so watch out I forsee more faux taxidermy in my future!

Nightmare pony anyone?

Monday, 22 August 2016


Sorry for missing last week - I was on my holidays and I thought' I'd queued some posts up but apparently I wasn't that organised...

Anyway, I didn't craft a lot last week, so here, have some photos of my most recent bakes!

This is an apple and blackberry crumble cake.  I made this for my vampire larp and it all disappeared so I think it was popular!  Recipe can be found here (I cheated and used my own crumble mix though, because I had some anyway). 

These are gluten free flapjacks cooling.  Mostly so  my beloved could also have cake (he's not allowed gluten anymore on doctors orders, which does occasionally make cookery tricky).  I use this recipe and add way more sultanas than are called for!