Pages

Friday 19 July 2013

Brave Merida Cosplay

I don't usually go in for cosplay, as a larper I prefer to make my own characters.  However, ever since Brave came to the cinemas (heck ever since the adverts hit the internet) I've been a huge fan of Merida and I love her outfits!

So when I was asked to organise a Brave themed party for work, my costume choice was obvious!  I had some pale linen in my stash and I ordered some blue wool from here (excellent service as always from them btw!).

I decided to make Butterick 4377 and adapt it to my needs.  Mostly this involved adding ruffles to the under dress neckline and cuffs along with fake elbow 'puffs'.  For the over dress I added a front decorative lacing and drafted my own sleeves.





 I'm really pleased with the result!  The skirts are swooshy, the dress is comfortable and everyone at work was suitably impressed!  The children even told their parents I was the 'real' Merida and quite frankly, who can ask for better praise?

Oh, in case you're wondering, yes that's my hair, not a wig.  I don't really like wigs so I dyed it with a temporary dye and used this tutorial for the curls.  It worked well, but the curls were so tight I spent a lot of the morning pulling them down so I didn't just have a kind of curly halo....

Hopefully I'll be back to normal posting from next week, sorry it's been lax lately but what with one thing and another I've been dealing with life and have had no time for blogging.


1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness weeza! Your hair is FANTABULOUS. You should keep it that colour ALWAYS it's beyond awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for dropping by!